Friday, November 18, 2011

Item 9: My bathroom scale

[caption id="attachment_56" align="alignnone" width="220" caption="image from amazon.com"][/caption]

Nothing for me gets to the core of my second decluttering rule (get rid of it if it's bad for you!) like getting rid of my bathroom scale. I was in such a hurry to get rid of this I didn't even take a picture.

I developed my first eating disorder in 2001 (yes, that's *first*. Of more than one.) I didn't get help until 2009. And only now am I getting rid of this device which has tortured me for years. If only I'd listened to my therapist ages ago, I would've been one object lighter! (and probably far less anxious).

For now I'll settle for being comfortable not knowing my weight. Hopefully someday I'll be able to get on a scale (though one I borrow, not own) and accept the weight I naturally am.

The reckoning:

Cost: Free. A friend gave it to me when she moved back to Europe. I don't think she realized what she was handing me and I was stupid enough to let it have a role in my life.

Fate: The "free box" in the basement of our apartment building.

What convinced me to let it go? When my husband caught me weighing myself this week for the third time in a day. After I'd had 64 days without any externalized eating disorder symptoms. This was not helping me stay on that path.

Total $ wasted on junk so far this year: $53.

Total cost on my sanity...well, if you really want to know what it's like to be in the head of someone in recovery from an eating disorder, see my other blog.

Phew. One more step towards complete recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind :o)

If you try to advertise your online business by writing a comment on this blog, please don't bother because I will delete it.