Fancy clothes. A fancy address. Fancy hair. Fancy makeup. One woman actually walked around the office asking how many of us got our eyebrows professionally done. The fancy kitchen to keep up with a now former friend who constantly has the newest, fanciest stuff (and also still has an eating disorder that she has no intention of doing anything about.) Fancy music lessons. And last but not least, a fancy housekeeper. There's only one person in my office who doesn't have one.
My lifestyle needs to take a few hints from the way it was during grad school. This means that the following "creepers" in our current budget will go:
1. Guitar lessons. I just told my guitar teacher I want to do lessons every-other week instead of every week. Monthly savings: $100
2. Eyebrow waxing. I'll be skipping this until I get back from Spain. Monthly savings: $60
3. Housekeeper. I need to learn to do my own cleaning. Monthly savings: $100.
4. Clothing. I regularly spend about $150/month. Thank you, eating disorder, for a body that constantly changes size. I can shop at the thrift shop instead of The Limited from now on. Monthly savings: $100
5. Extra charity. I sponsor a child but right now I have to take care of me. I can always sponsor one again later. Savings: $38/month
Total monthly savings: $398!!
So, friends, has lifestyle creep ever happened to you?