Thursday, March 8, 2012

88 pieces of tupperware on the wall, 88 pieces of tupperware...take one down and toss it around...

Dream-wind left this comment on my earlier post about Tupperware which reminded me that I hadn't taken a look at my plastic food container collection in a while. In my earlier post I talked about repurposing tupperware. But I definitely didn't throw anything out.

True to my hoarder self, I have a lot of tupperware: 

My husband's18-piece "it-melts-when-you-microwave-it" Rubbermaid containers from his bachelor days (USD $15.00)

Two 16-piece sets of glass tupperware from our wedding registry 
(USD $119.80 total)
My 16-piece set of 'Premiere' Rubbermaid containers (love the marketing there) from my days as a single gal
(USD $19.97)
Two two-piece corningware lunch dishes
(total USD $17.98)


One four-piece "lunch on the go" container
(USD $9.99)

A ten-piece set of 'disposble' tupperwares 
(now holding my socks, hose, and such things, USD $7.99)

And two ancient pieces of Tupperware that I pilfered from my mom's cabinet. I do feel bad about this one since I think I stole the only pieces that have the proper bottom and lid. Yet my parents own dozens of plastic containers.

That's 88 pieces of food storage if I did my math right. 
44 food containers. 

Also, because we can food in the Summer and Fall, we have about two dozen canning jars.

Something had to go! A friend of mine at work happens to have the same Premier containers as I do. She wanted some replacements so I dug out the ones I could find and took them in to work. It's not much of a dent in my total collection, but it's something!




The Reckoning


Items 60, 61, 62, and 63: Four food storage containers. 

Cost: I got rid of half of the set I originally purchased. Some are lost, some are still in the freezer. The set was $19.97 which makes these $!0. 

Fate: They now have a new home in my friend's kitchen cabinets.

Amount of money I wasted on junk I never should've bought: $288.


12 comments:

  1. Food storage can get SOOOOO out of hand! We're trying to get away from plastic, so I've been saving like every jar. I think I may have a glass jar hoard going on! Ok, you've just inspired me to recycle some (especially since we seem to acquire maybe 2 a week from sauces/peanut butter/etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Collecting jars is always so tempting because they're free and it's an eco-friendly thing to do. Lots of temptation there! Good luck with clearing out your cabinets!

      Delete
  2. "Amount of money I wasted on junk I never should've bought: $288" wow....saying 88 containers is not as "powerful" as saying "$288 wasted" O__O
    I think you've found a really impressive way to do the reckoning: it's the part I love most in your posts, it's kind of ringing a bell...a huge one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it! The strangest thing though is that high price tags make us less likely to get rid of items. I know I've been holding back!

      Delete
  3. What is it with storage containers? I too have lots of them - way less than I did before I culled the collection, but I'm having another look and thinking "hmmmm...."

    I also like the "Amount of money wasted" counter you have. I didn't really start keeping track of junk until the start of last year, but I have been tracking the progress of clearing out the kitchen. I can actually find stuff easily now... and I can USE MY OVEN without first having to move the stack of baking trays I used to keep in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't tracking progress fun when you've been hoarding? It really helps get over the psychological hump of "oh, but I've been working so hard but it's not making a difference!" Did you bake anything to celebrate?

      Delete
  4. For me it's those plastic folgers containers..the bigger ones I use as portable washing tubs..the smaller ones are for pens/pencils and the plastic bottle caps w/ codes that my hubby insists on keeping. And ever 3 or four months my hubby convinces me to throw a few out.

    My biggest issue w/ plastic food containers is appropriate, neat storage. It's why gladware is such a great thing..I really don't mind those getting thrown out when needed..but I do mind not having the container I want when I want it lol.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, thanks for stopping by my blog! I can really sympathize with not having the container you want when you want it. When I first started decluttering I could hardly get rid of anything because I was afraid I might need it some day.

      Remember, you can always go out and buy a new one!

      Delete
  5. Glad I am not the only one hoarding jars and containers! I had been wanting to replace my red-lid rubbermaid's with glass, and then I realized that I had corningware! Duh! So I've been trying to use my corningware instead of buying MORE stuff. The only downer is that I can't see inside, but we're making it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I like the corningware idea! I've found mason jars work great too. I pack my drinks and oatmeal/yogurt/soups etc. in them. Drowning in mason jars is the only downside to canning!

      Delete
  6. This post caught my eye on your left sidebar so I had to check it out because I tried to throw out a lidless disposable plastic food container and hubby carried on as if it were his very manhood I had threatened. But it has no lid! It is disposable! We have others! We can always buy more! None of those arguments worked. He checks now to make sure it is still there. It makes me laugh. And by laugh I mean weep. Ah well. Someday it may develop a hole or something you know... you know how that sometimes just spontaneously happens? I have bigger battles to fight now, but I definitely had to stop by and see what you had to say about Tupperware style containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same problem over here! I end up chucking some of them on the days when I'm teleworking and he's not around. And no, they're not missed...unless I tell him I threw them out!

      Delete

Please be kind :o)

If you try to advertise your online business by writing a comment on this blog, please don't bother because I will delete it.