Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I have too much time on my hands! (items 33 and 34...two watches)

I procrastinated at work today by reading a few of those "you're old because nobody born after 2000 will grow up knowing what these items are" lists (floppy disks, anyone?)

Anybody surprised that watches are on some of these lists? We carry our cell phones everywhere with us. When we get to work we turn them off and turn on our computers...which also have the time at the bottom of the screen, just like TVs tuned to the news stations. Every office I'm in has a clock on the wall.

Better yet, now that I'm decluttering my life I'm discovering I have more free time. I don't need to know what time it is because I'm not rushing everywhere nearly as much as before.

I suppose they're an accessory (how many watches do most women own?) I do like to wear one because I like to think it gives the impression that I pay attention to time.

But do I really need THREE?

(It's actually worse than that. I'd gotten rid of the fourth a few months ago.) What's even sadder is that I bought one of them because I misplaced the first one for a while, then naturally, found it again.

If only I'd been more of a minimalist to start with, maybe I wouldn't have misplaced the one watch. Could've saved myself $55!



If you decide to get rid of your watches, don't just trash them. Try to find a watch repair shop. Family-owned ones like Ecker's in Bethesda are often happy to take the donations to resell or recycle the parts. Yay for supporting local businesses!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="330" caption="Mr. Ecker's parrot is pretty cute too."]from www.eckersclocks.com[/caption]

~The Reckoning~


Original Cost: Purple one I got from the 'free box' at college. Goldtone one was $55!

What convinced me to get rid of them:  My “no duplicates allowed” rule. And both of them gave me rashes, so I guess they were bad for me!

Fate: Donated them to the watch repairman.

Total $ wasted on junk so far this year: $203.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't worn a watch in nearly ten years now, but I never used to be able to be without one.

    I'm new to your blog, and am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been catching up on your blog. Well written and so on the money!

    Regarding timekeepers -- Hooray for multi-taskers, aka cellphones (smartphones for some). BTW, the one place you WON'T find a clock is in a medical office. They don't want you to know how long you've been waiting.... I know; I used to work in one, and yep, it's on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? Funny, and then they complain when *I'm* 10 minutes late!

      Delete

Please be kind :o)

If you try to advertise your online business by writing a comment on this blog, please don't bother because I will delete it.