Sunday, November 17, 2013

Knock, knock, Neo.

It's been a while. I survived the DC furlough and three weeks off gave me an incredible amount of time to think. No, I'm not stopping the blog, but I do think I needed a break. It's amazing how much even things I do for fun become things that I keep telling myself I "should" do more often, and then they become burdensome. Posting was one of those things where I kept "should"-ing myself and I took a much-needed break.

I spent the time not doing nearly as much decluttering as I wanted to do. Which is fine. I did spend quite a bit of time on something called Amazon Mechanical Turk, which is a website run by Amazon.com where you can get paid a pittance to do small jobs, most of which are either transcription or psychology studies. It helped me contribute a bit financially and it gave me a chance to learn more about myself. Psychology studies are actually really cool! Yeah, I'm a geek.

I focused on taking studies about anxiety and eating disorders, since my eating disorder has gotten worse in the last couple months. Stress at work, medication changes, still not talking to my family, and it all adds up to .... a return to intensive outpatient treatment. I begin again in three nights a week of treatment on Wednesday this week.

On the plus side, I also spent a lot of time thinking about what makes me happy in life. One of those things is Spanish, so I decided to take two months next summer to study abroad and work at a medical library in Spain. I have the paid vacation time at work and it's considered a sabbatical, so it should be quite doable and very fulfilling. After that, we finally decided that it's time to settle down and have a baby.

Which brings us, oddly enough, back to decluttering! Our spare bedroom has never really been used for anything except storage. Over the furlough I decided that I wanted more out of the room before we turn it into a nursery. So for the next 2-3 years, or until the kid is old enough to realize what he/she is looking at, we're going to have a Matrix-themed room! We moved the TV into the back room and are trying to get more of the junk out of it.

This was the room before we started.

The plan for the room is as follows:

1. Move bed to opposite wall. get nice backrest pillows so that the bed can be a place to watch tv. Beds are my preferred place for tv-watching and the chief engineer won't let tvs enter our bedroom.
2. Put skis in closet
3. Get rid of desk in closet
4. Replace desk in closet with counter-height butcher block table to create a standing desk
5. Remove excess clutter
6. Paint walls
7. Put our three matrix posters up
8. Celebrate by watching the Matrix!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!

    I'm glad you did what worked for YOU!

    I'm excited for your new endeavors. My sister did a study abroad program in Salamanca, Spain and just adored it there. It sounds like it will be a great break for you! As for baby, I hope that goes as easily as it can. I wouldn't get too involved in decorating because once you are pregnant, everything flies out the window. I didn't care all that much, but pregnancy hormones go baby stuff crazy. When you see all of the cute bedding and bedroom themes, it's hard to still say yes to old styles. Or maybe your baby will come out Matrix ready ;) Glad you decided to come back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back! And very happy to have discovered your new blog! I hope the Chief Engineer can keep me out of the stores while I'm pregnant. Those hormones sound scary!

      Delete

Please be kind :o)

If you try to advertise your online business by writing a comment on this blog, please don't bother because I will delete it.